Support Your Body with Orthotics
Everything, both organic and inanimate, is built on a foundation. For humans, our foundation is the feet. If you spend a lot of time on your feet, are active, suffering from certain illnesses or are having pain in your legs or lower back, orthotics may be right for you. Here are more ways orthotics help support your health.
How Orthotics Help Common Conditions
Orthotics help treat chronic medical conditions, and provide therapy for more recent injuries, including:
- Diabetes – Orthotics absorb shock, and provide a greater degree of cushioning than standard footwear. This support and protection reduces the amount of pressure and stress placed on the foot, and the level of wear and rubbing on the skin.
- Flat feet – Having flat feet can result in ankle foot, and back pain, but orthotics can improve the positioning of the feet and lend added support.
- Plantar fasciitis – This condition can cause heel pain and doctors may recommend wearing orthotics to provide support to the heel and foot.
- Bursitis – Heels and toes can have inflamed sacs which can cause bursitis discomfort and pain. With orthotics that have heel and arch support, bursitis discomfort can be prevented.
- Bunions – These painful bumps that grow at the base of the toes may result in foot deformities and are painful. Orthotics can minimize the pressure on the big toe.
- Hammer toes – A side effect of bunions, hammer toes can cause pain and deformities on the second toe and ball of the feet. You can boost your feet support through orthotics. This also lessens the risk of worsening hammer toes.
- Heel spurs – These are conditions characterized by excessive bone growth on the bottom or back of the heel. Swelling can be prevented by using the appropriate orthotic device.
How Orthotics Help Athletes
In addition to physical health, age and lifestyle impact your feet, too. Athletes find that orthotics help to absorb shock, reduce fatigue, and improve comfort, but most importantly, they can greatly reduce the risk of injury. With all of these elements combined into a custom, biomedical appliance that fits comfortably in your shoe, orthotics can greatly improve an athlete’s overall performance.
Prevent Further Injury
Everything is relative — your body included. It’s a living organism built on the teamwork of anatomy and physiology to support your health. Because of this, every experience impacts your entire body. If neglected, foot problems can lead to related issues in your legs and back. This can worsen or create muscle and tendon injuries. Orthotics aid in pain relief and injury prevention. Also, people with jobs that require standing for more than five hours a day find foot, leg and low back pain relief during shifts by wearing orthotics.
Find Support Through Professional Care
If your foot pain infringes on your wellness or persists, seek medical attention immediately. Live Well Chiropractic Center’s Dr. Kimberly Muhlenkamp-Wermert and our team of healthcare professionals are dedicated to your health. We believe in collaboration and relationship-centered care. While we are experts in the technology and mechanics of the body, you are the expert of your history and experiences. Because of this, we work with you to create a custom treatment plan for your healing, including custom orthotics. Reach out to our team for a consultation today, or to schedule your complimentary 3D foot scan. Be sure to check us out on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn for our latest updates and tips!