Winter weather makes things harder on us all. From catching colds to getting stuck in bad-weather traffic, and from the seasonal blahs to dry skin, living through a Midwest winter can be difficult. One of the best things you can do for yourself though is to go for a walk.
Walking (like most exercise) reduces your risk of depression, releases those feel-good endorphins, keeps you from gaining weight, improves your brain function and helps you feel more awake, among other positive changes.
The irony is, even if you want to walk to boost your spirits and get in some exercise, the temperatures can make it more difficult to be outside. If it’s too cold to exercise outside and you don’t own a treadmill, then what are your other options? It turns out, plenty! You can get in a good indoor walking workout right here in town – you just need to know where to look.
Where to Walk Indoors in the Winter
1. Kenwood Towne Centre “The Mall,” as it’s known to us locals, is open for walkers Monday through Saturday starting at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Sundays. Safe, warm, and comfortable, one lap around the entire mall (including all corridors) is 1.07 miles. Plus, think of all the additional calories you can burn people watching and window shopping as you walk.
2. Mason Community Center Not a member? Don’t worry, you can purchase a day pass that allows you to use all of the facilities in the center, including an indoor walking track.
3. Forest Fair Village (formerly Forest Fair Mall and Cincinnati Mills) Spacious (okay empty), quiet and well-maintained, you can walk (or even run) around its 1.5-million square feet of mostly abandoned space, save the few other walkers. One lap around both levels of the mall is 1.8 miles. Open at 6 a.m. Monday through Sunday.
4. Crossroads Community Church Oakley Walk the indoor walkway on the mezzanine level (there are a few steps). Ten laps equals a mile. Open at 6 a.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. Saturday. Closed to walkers Sundays.
5. Tri-County Mall Walk around both the lower and upper levels of the mall and you’ll have logged your first mile. The mall is open at 6 a.m. Monday through Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday.
6. Mayerson JCC Register online for a free guest pass and try out its three-lane, elevated, rubberized, 1/8 mile indoor elevated track with climate control. Open at 5:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and at 7 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
At Live Well Chiropractic Center, we want you to make the most out of your winter workout—even if that means taking your workout inside. For a sports injury or a regular adjustment, we’d love to see you. Call us today at 513-285-7482 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your consultation and learn more about the health benefits of our brand of chiropractic care.